Joint Task Force-Bravo in Honduras Restricting Personnel Movement Following Deposal.
WASHINGTON, June 30, 2009 – There are no current threats to U.S. servicemembers serving in Honduras following last week’s ouster of the Honduran president, U.S. Southern Command officials said today.
The 600 American soldiers, sailors and airmen based at the Honduran Soto Cano Air Base are staying on the base and not conducting exercises with the Honduran military, said Robert Appin, deputy director for public information and outreach at Southern Command in Miami.
The Honduran military reportedly ousted President Manuel Zelaya on June 28. President Barack Obama has expressed concern over the development and said the Hondurans need to work the problem out.
The last off-base operation was June 26 when U.S. servicemembers concluded a medical readiness exercise, Appin said.
Army Col. Richard A. Juergens, commander of Joint Task Force-Bravo, restricted the movement of the task force following Zelaya’s ouster. “No one is allowed off base except for emergency situations,” Appin said. “All travel is restricted.”
U.S. forces have served in Honduras since the early 1980s. A mix of active and reserve component servicemembers work with local forces and local institutions. Servicemembers deploy for either six months or a year to Soto Cano, Appin said.
[Source: By Jim Garamone, American Forces Press Service, 30jun09]
DDHH en Honduras
|This document has been published on 01Jul09 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|