The Search for World Peace
United Nations Distr. General
Assembly 3 April 1962
COMMITTEE ESTABLISHED UNDER GENERAL ASSEMBLY
RESOLUTION 1181 (XII) (QUESTION OF DEFINING
REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE
Rapporteur: Dr. Gonzalo ORTIZ (Costa Rica)
1. The General Assembly, by resolution 1181 (XII) of 29 November 1957, noted inter alia that twenty-two States had recently joined the United Nations, asked the Secretary-General to request the vievs of the new Member States on the question of defining aggression, and further asked the Secretary-General
"... to refer the replies of Member States to a committee composed of the Member States whose representatives have served on the General Committee at the most recent regular session of the General Assembly, which Committee shall study the replies for the purpose of deternining when it shall be appropriate for the General Assembly to consider again the question of defining aggression, and shall report to the Secretary-General when it has determined that the time is appropriate, setting forth the considerations which led to its decision."
2. The Committee held its first session in April 1959, and adopted a resolution vhich is reproduced in its report (A/AC.91/2). By that resolution the Committee decided
"l. To adjourn until April 1962 further consideration of the question of determining when it shall be appropriate for the General Assembly to consider again the question of defining aggression, unless an absolute majority of the members of the Committee, in the light of the vievs and coments received and the situation prevailing in international relations, considers it desirable for the Committee to meet at an earlier date and requests the Secretary-General to convene it;
"2. To request the Secretary-General to transmit this resolution to all Member States and to reconvene the Committee in either of the two cases provided for in the preceding paragraph."
3. In pursuance of this resolution the Secretary-General reconvened the Committee on 2 April 1962 at United Nations Headquarters. Between that date and 9 April 1962, the Committee held five meetings.
4. The following is a list of the representatives and alternate representatives of the States members of the Committee:
Argentina: Mr. Enrique Ros;
Bulgaria: Mr. Yordan Tchobanov, Mr. Decho Dincho Stamboliev;
China: Mr. Yu-Chi Hsueh, Mr. Wang Meng-hsien;
Costa Rica: Mr. Gonzalo Ortiz, Mr. Javier Oreamuno;
Cyprus: Mr. Zenon Rossides;
Czechoslovakia: Mr. Zdenek Cernik, Mr. Stanislav Myslil;
Denmark: Mr. Aage Hessellund-Jensen, Mr. William F. McIlquham Schmidt;
France: Mr. Pierre Millet, Mr. Jean-Louis Plihon;
Ghana: Mr. Alex Quaison-Sackey, Mr. Kenneth K.S. Dadzie, Mr. Johnson K.D. Appiah;
Greece: Mr. Dmitri S. Bitsios, Mr. Alexandre Demetropoulos;
Italy: Mr. Palo Tallarigo, Mr. Marco Pisa;
Liberia: Y. Nathan Barnes, Mr. Nathaniel Eastman;
Mexico: Mr. Jorge Castañeda, Mr. Joaquin Mercado;
Netherlands: Mr. Jan Poldermann, Mr. Lodewyk H.J.B. van Gorkom;
Niger: Mr. Illa Salifou;
Panama: Mr. Cesar Quintero;
Philippines: Mr. Eduardo Quintero, Mr. Zoilo M. Alberto;
Tunisia: Mr. Chedly Ayari;
Union of Soviet Socialist Republics: Mr. Platon Dmitrievich Morozov, Mr. Konstantin Grigoryevich Fedoseev, Mr Igor Yakovlev;
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: Mr. C.T. Crowe, Miss J.A.C. Gutteridge;
United States of America: Mr. Charles Phelps Noyes, Mr. Ernest L. Kerley, Mrs. Carmel Carrington Marr.
5. The Committee elected the following officers:
Chairman: Mr. Nathan Barnes (Liberia);
Vice-Chairman: Mr. Dmitri Bitsios (Greece);
Rapporteur: Mr. Gonzalo Ortiz (Costa Rica).
6. The Committee had before it a draft resolution submitted by the representative of Cyprus (A/AC.91/L.7) which was later revised by its sponsor (A/AC.91/Lo7/Rev.l) by the addition in operative paragraph 2 of the words "and to renew the request to the other Member States to submit their views". In its revised form the draft is identical with the resolution adopted by the Committee.
7. The Committee, at its twelfth meeting on 9 April 1962, by 16 votes to none, with 4 abstentions, adopted the resolution reproduced hereunder.
Considering its terms of rererence as laid down in General Assembly resolution 1181 (XII) of 29 November 1957,
Noting that there have not been sufficient indications of the attitudes of Member States to allow the determination of any particular time as appropriate for the General Assembly to consider again the question of defining aggression,
Further noting that many new Member States have not yet expressed their views on that question, and being confident that new Member States will wish to facilitate the work of the Committee by submitting their views and comments,
1. To adjourn until April 1965 further consideration of the question of determining when it shall be appropriate for the General Assembly to consider again the question of defining aggression, unless an absolute majority of the members of the Committee, in the light of the views and comments received and the situation prevailing in international relations, considers it desirable for the Committee to meet at an earlier date and requests the Secretary-General to convene it;
2. To ask the Secretary-General to request States admitted to the United Nations since the session of the Committee in 1959 to submit, not later than 1 November 1964, their views on the question in conformity with paragraph 2 of General Assembly resolution 1181 (XII) of 29 November 1957, and to renew the request to the other Member States to submit their views;
3. To request the Secretary-General to transmit this resolution to all Member States, and to reconvene the Committee in either of the two cases provided for in paragraph 1.
Source: U.N. General Assembly, Report of the Committee Established under General Assembly Resolution 1181 (XII) (Question of Defining Aggression), Second Session, Doc. A/AC.91/3, Apr. 13, 1962, pp. 1-4.
Editorial Note: This is a true copy of the above-referenced original document. This document is reproduced in Benjamin B. Ferencz's work "Defining International Aggression - The Search for World Peace", Vol. 2, as Document No. 11.
The digital publication and distribution of this work by Equipo Nizkor has been authorised by the author on a not-for-profit basis. This is a free distribution electronic edition prepared by Equipo Nizkor.
This electronic edition may not be copied or reproduced in any format or by any means without the express consent of Equipo Nizkor.
© 2013 Equipo Nizkor