Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
Egypt has started war against terrorism: presidency
Egypt has started a war against terrorism, a presidential spokesman said on Wednesday, state-run news agency MENA reported.
In his statement, which followed a meeting of interim President Adli Mansour and top officials over the country's security conditions, presidential media adviser Ahmed al-Mislimani commended the invitation of defense minister to the Egyptian people to rally in approval of crackdown on terrorism.
Early in the day, Defense Minister Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi called on Egyptians to take to streets Friday to authorize the army and police to face the potential violence, reaffirming that his call " is not an invitation for violence."
"The call of defense minister for citizens to take to the streets is meant to protection for the uprising and the state," said Mislimani.
Sisi's call appealed to liberals who backed the army in ousting Islamist ex-President Mohamed Morsi earlier this month, yet it was condemned by Islamist supporters of the deposed president as "an explicit call for a civil war."
[Source: Xinhua, Cairo, 24Jul13]
Crisis in Egypt
|This document has been published on 25Jul13 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|