Libya interim leader urges NATO to stay till yearend
Acting Libyan leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil has urged NATO to continue its operations in the country until at least the end of 2011, al Jazeera television reported on Wednesday.
Jalil, the head of Libya's National Transition Council (NTC), was speaking during a conference in Qatar, one of the first countries to recognize the NTC as Libya's legitimate government.
"We look forward to NATO continuing its operations until the end of the year," Jalil said.
Last week, following the killing of deposed leader Muammar Gaddafi, NATO said it would end its operations by October 31.
However, a NATO official said a meeting of the alliance's ambassadors to formalize the decision, originally set for Wednesday, had been postponed until Friday.
"The Libya discussion has been moved to Friday to accommodate the ongoing consultations with the United Nations and the National Transitional Council," the NATO official said.
Meanwhile, a lawyer for Gaddafi's relatives told a French radio station the family would take NATO to court over his killing.
[Source: Ria Novosti, Moscow, 26Oct11]
|This document has been published on 30Oct11 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|