Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
Français | Español | Русский
Letter from the House of Representatives of Libya reassuring the new UN Secretary General that it would not be opposed to the Political Agreement if some amendments were made to its provisions and some annexes
24 January 2017
Letter dated 24 January 2017 from the Chargé d'affaires a.i. of the Permanent Mission of Libya to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
I have the honour to transmit to you a letter dated 2 January 2017 from the President of the House of Representatives of Libya, Agila Saleh Issa Gwaider, which contains proposed amendments to the Libyan Political Agreement (see annex).
I should be grateful if the present letter and its annex were circulated as a document of the Security Council.
(Signed) Elmahdi S. Elmajerbi
Chargé d'affaires a.i.
Annex to the letter dated 24 January 2017 from the Chargé d'affaires a.i. of the Permanent Mission of Libya to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
My country looks forward to working in full cooperation with the United Nations under your leadership. We should like to reassure you that we would not be opposed to the Political Agreement that was concluded under the auspices of the United Nations if some amendments were made to its provisions and some annexes were added to it, with a view to ending the current division of the country; arriving at a genuine reconciliation, without excluding or marginalizing anyone; and achieving national reconciliation. We therefore propose the following:
- The composition of the dialogue committee should be amended to reflect balance at the national level;
- The provisions of article 8, paragraph 2 (a), of the Political Agreement regarding the assumption of the functions of the Supreme Commander of the Libyan army should be reviewed and amended;
- Article 8 of the additional provisions of the Political Agreement should be addressed so as preserve the continuity of the military and its freedom from political influence;
- The composition of the State Council should be reconsidered, in order to include the members of the General National Congress who were elected on 7 July 2012;
- The Presidency Council and the decision-making mechanism should be restructured in order to address the problems and delays caused by enlargement, such that the Council is composed of three members (one from each region in accordance with the established geographical division).
(Signed) Agila Saleh Issa
President of the Libyan House of Representatives
|This document has been published on 21Feb17 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|