Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
Syrian PM survives blast targeting his convoy
Syrian Prime Minister Wael al- Halqi has escaped unharmed from a blast that targeted his convoy in Damascus earlier on Monday and killed at least eight people, pro-government al-Ekhbaria TV reported.
The explosion has targeted al-Halqi's convoy in Damascus' western neighborhood of al-Mazzeh near the Electricity Directorate and close to a park and a school, local media said, adding that many others were wounded.
One of al-Halqi's escorts is believed to have been killed in the attack, reports said, adding that big material losses were also caused to nearby buildings and cars.
The high-profile assassination attempt is the latest in a series of plots that have targeted Syrian officials and army officers.
Last December, the rebels staged a blast near the Interior Ministry in Damascus, targeting Interior Minister Let. Gen. Mohammad al-Shaar. The minister survived the attack, but sustained serious injuries before recovering in a hospital in neighboring Lebanon.
A deadly attack last July killed four Syrian officials and was considered as the harshest blow against the administration of President Bashar al-Assad. Those killed including Defense Minister Dawood Rajiha, Deputy Defense Minister Assef Shawkat, who is Assad 's brother-in-law, and Hasan Turkmani, Assad's security adviser.
[Source: Xinhua, Damascus, 29Apr13]
|This document has been published on 30Apr13 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|