Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
Council of the European Union Declaration on Syria
Council declaration on Syria
3241st FOREIGN AFFAIRS Council meeting
Brussels, 27 May 2013
The Council agreed the following elements on the renewal of the restrictive measures against Syria:
1) At the expiry of the current sanctions regime, the Council will adopt for a period of 12 months restrictive measures in the following fields, as specified in Council Decision 2012/739/CFSP:
- Export and import restrictions with the exception of arms and related material and equipment which might be used for internal repression;
- Restrictions on financing of certain enterprises;
- Restrictions on infrastructure projects;
- Restrictions of financial support for trade;
- Financial sector;
- Transport sector;
- Restrictions on admission;
- Freezing of funds and economic resources.
2) With regard to the possible export of arms to Syria, the Council took note of the commitment by Member States to proceed in their national policies as follows:
- the sale, supply, transfer or export of military equipment or of equipment which might be used for internal repression will be for the Syrian National Coalition for Opposition and Revolutionary Forces and intended for the protection of civilians;
- Member States shall require adequate safeguards against misuse of authorisations granted, in particular relevant information concerning the end-user and final destination of the delivery;
- Member States shall assess the export licence applications on a case-by-case basis, taking full account of the criteria set out in Council Common Position 2008/944/CFSP of 8 December 2008 defining common rules governing control of exports of military technology and equipment.
Member States will not proceed at this stage with the delivery of the equipment mentioned above.
The Council will review its position before 1 August 2013 on the basis of a report by the High Representative, after having consulted the UN Secretary General, on the developments related to the US-Russia initiative and on the engagement of the Syrian parties.
|This document has been published on 28May13 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|