Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
Blasts hinder delivery of aid rations into Syria's old Homs city
Mortar shells and the blast of two explosive devices hindered the delivery of aid rations into the old city of Syria's Homs province on Saturday, the pan-Arab al- Mayadeen TV said.
Two busloads of relief aid backed down before reaching their target in old-Homs city following the blast of two explosive devices, reportedly planted by the rebels, as the square where the shipments are located has been rained down with mortars, al- Mayadeen cited the governor of Homs Talal Barazi as saying.
Two other buses carrying aid rations are on standby in trying to enter the area, however the previous first two buses have sustained damages, according to the report.
Earlier in the day, Barazi said that the rebels in Homs breached a truce they concluded lately with the government troops by firing multiple mortar shells at a police office building.
Saturday's attacks came only one day after the UN-mediated truce went into effect. The truce was intended to allow civilians to evacuate from the old quarters of Homs to government-run shelters and also for aid rations to be delivered to people inside the city, who are reluctant to leave.
A total of 83 women, children and elderly civilians have been evacuated in the first batch on Friday and many more are to leave within the next few days, as up to 2,500 people are believed to be trapped in the rebel-held old city, part of which have been under government troops' siege since June 2012.
It's still unclear whether the aid rations would enter the area as planned.
[Source: Xinhua, Damascus, 08Feb14]
|This document has been published on 10Feb14 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|