Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
Isis launches attack on Kobani from inside Turkey for first time
Islamic State (Isis) has launched an attack on the Syrian border town of Kobani from Turkey for the first time, a Kurdish official and activists said.
The assault began with a suicide attack by a bomber in an armoured vehicle on the border crossing between Kobani and Turkey, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), a UK-based opposition group, said.
Nawaf Khalil, a spokesman for Syria's Kurdish Democratic Union party, said that Isis "used to attack the town from three sides" but "today, they are attacking from four sides".
Turkey has previously backing the Syrian rebels fighting to topple the country's president, Bashar al-Assad, has it has been reluctant to help the Kurds in Kobani for fear of stoking Kurdish ambitions for an independent state.
There was no comment from Ankara on Saturday about Isis fighters launching the assault from Turkish soil.
SOHR said heavy fighting also took place south-west of the town, where Isis brought in tanks to reinforce their fighters.
The group began its Kobani offensive in mid-September, capturing parts of the town and dozens of nearby villages. The town later became the focus of air strikes by the US-led coalition against the militants.
Kurdish fighters have slowly been advancing in Kobani since late October. Hundreds of people have been killed in the fighting
SOHR said on Saturday that the latest fighting killed at least eight Kurdish fighters and 17 jihadists.
[Source: The Guardian, London, 29Nov14]
|This document has been published on 08Dec14 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|