Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
29 August 1997
Français | Español
Lisbon Compromise Agreement on Troop Confinement
Results of the third round of direct talks
Lisbon, 29 August 1997
I. COMPROMISE AGREEMENT ON TROOP CONFINEMENT
1. The parties agree that Moroccan armed forces will be reduced and confined or contained in all respects strictly in accordance with the provisions of the settlement plan.
2. The parties and the observer nations of Algeria and Mauritania also agree that Frente POLISARIO armed forces will be confined or contained in locations and numbers as designated by the Special Representative of the Secretary-General (as called for in the settlement plan) provided, however, that no more than 2,000 individuals may be confined or contained on the territory of Western Sahara east of the sand berm and no more than 300 individuals on the territory of Mauritania. Frente POLISARIO armed forces over and above the number designated by the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for confinement or containment in Western Sahara east of the sand berm and in Mauritania shall be confined or contained on the territory of Algeria. As far as the locations of the troops to be confined and contained in Algeria and Mauritania are concerned, these locations will be identified in coordination with the Algerian and Mauritanian authorities.
3. This compromise agreement is for the sole purpose of further defining the rights and responsibilities of the parties and the observer nations regarding confinement or containment of troops for the purpose of carrying out the settlement plan and the referendum called for in such plan. This compromise shall in no way change, alter or otherwise affect the internationally recognized boundaries of Western Sahara, and shall not serve as precedent for any argument that such boundaries have changed or been altered.
II. PRISONERS OF WAR
1. The parties agree that all prisoners of war will be repatriated in accordance with the provisions of the settlement plan.
2. The parties further agree that they will continue their full cooperation with the International Committee of the Red Cross until the completion of the repatriation process.
III. POLITICAL PRISONERS OR DETAINEES
The parties agree that any and all Saharan political prisoners or detainees will be released, pursuant to the amnesty envisioned in the settlement plan, before the beginning of the referendum campaign. The parties further agree that they will fully cooperate with the Independent Jurist in carrying out his duties.
[Source: United Nations Security Council, S/1997/742, 24 September 1997]
|This document has been published on 14Feb18 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|