Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
Français | Español
Report on operational support provided by French forces to MINUSMA (Dec. 14-Feb. 15)
18 March 2015
Letter dated 16 March 2015 from the Secretary-General addressed to the President of the Security Council
In accordance with paragraph 26 of Security Council resolution 2164 (2014), I have the honour to transmit herewith a report on the actions undertaken by French forces in support of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) from 3 December 2014 to 23 February 2015 (see annex).
I should be grateful if you would bring the present letter and its annex to the attention of the members of the Security Council.
(Signed) BAN Ki-moon
Report on operational support provided by French forces to MINUSMA from 3 December 2014 to 23 February 2015
The present report, submitted pursuant to paragraph 26 of Security Council resolution 2164 (2014), describes the actions undertaken by French forces in support of MINUSMA from 3 December 2014 to 23 February 2015.
The report is the third of its kind since the adoption of resolution 2164 (2014), and the seventh since MINUSMA was established.
Previously, France submitted four reports to the Security Council which outlined six combat actions undertaken in response to an imminent and serious threat and highlighted the work of the liaison and operational support detachments for MINUSMA, as well as the support of French forces in caring for the wounded.
Since 3 December 2014, no combat action has been undertaken in response to an imminent and serious threat.
Nonetheless, it is worth noting the extent of the support provided by French forces to MINUSMA in several areas:
- Four interventions were carried out by explosive ordnance disposal teams of liaison and operational support detachments for MINUSMA units that had been the victims of incidents or that had discovered explosive devices (explosive ordnance disposal expert reports and joint post-blast analyses).
- Through many joint patrols and the direct support of French specialists (explosive ordnance disposal, medical teams, intelligence), the French liaison and operational support detachments deployed in support of MINUSMA battalions participate daily in fulfilling their mission to control the major cities and highways in the north of Mali, and improve the security situation for the inhabitants of the region.
- During the period in question, the Barkhane force also took part, alongside MINUSMA and the Armed Forces of Mali, in a coordinated and planned joint operation in the Batal plateau region (greater Gao area) in northern Mali from 28 December to 12 January.
- As part of the support provided by French forces in caring for wounded MINUSMA elements, two health support missions were undertaken:
- On 25 January, at the request of MINUSMA, a civilian received treatment in Kidal before being transferred to the French role 2 hospital in Gao.
- On 15 February, following an explosion in the Bangladeshi battalion's camp in Tabankort, four wounded Bangladeshi MINUSMA personnel were airlifted by helicopter to the French role 2 hospital in Gao, where two of them underwent surgery.
Furthermore, at the request of MINUSMA, the Barkhane force carried out five aerial shows of presence, as follows:
- Two shows of presence on 21 January in Tabankort
- One show of presence on 21 January in Kidal
- Two shows of presence on 22 January in Tabankort
|This document has been published on 14Apr15 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|