Derechos | Equipo Nizkor
Français | Español | Русский
Response from Iran to the final communique of the Gulf Cooperation Council Summit held on 10Dec15 in Riyadh
10 February 2016
Letter dated 9 February 2016 from the Permanent Representative of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
With reference to the letter dated 10 December 2015 from the Permanent Representative of Saudi Arabia to the President of the Security Council (S/2015/954) and its annex thereto, namely, the final communique of the Gulf Cooperation Council Summit held on 10 December 2015 in Riyadh in which some unfounded and unacceptable claims have been raised against the Islamic Republic of Iran, I have the honour to state the following:
1. Regional gatherings are meant to promote mutual understanding and advance cooperation in areas of mutual interest in line with the principles and purposes of the Charter of the United Nations. It is regrettable to note that the said final communique has distanced itself from that noble aspiration. Iran-related sections in the communique are nothing but repeating pre-determined biased positions and false allegations and provocations against Iran, whose self-restraint has prevented this concerted campaign from achieving its goal of exacerbating tension and derailing peace in the Persian Gulf region. We also consider it a misuse of the United Nations procedure to circulate that kind of misleading information.
2. Iran's foreign policy accords priority to enhance friendship with neighbours, strengthen peace and stability in the region and promote constructive engagement across the globe. We are determined to actively contribute to peace in the region in the face of the increasing threat of terrorism and violent extremism and to cooperate with our neighbours and the international community in dealing with these common regional and global threats.
3. Iran highly respects principles of national sovereignty and non-interference in the internal affairs of other countries and at the same time believes that the legitimate demands of people should be well respected.
4. "Security for all" has been the principal pillar of Iran's security strategy in the Persian Gulf, which aims to maintain peace, security and stability in the region. Accordingly, Iran reaffirms its readiness to boost cooperation, including through regional integration in the interest of nations in the region.
5. On the unilateral claim by the United Arab Emirates over the Iranian islands of Abu Musa, Lesser Tunb and Greater Tunb, the Islamic Republic of Iran reiterates its consistent and principled position that it does not recognize the existence of any such dispute between Iran and the United Arab Emirates; the three islands have been and continue to be an inseparable part of Iranian territory and, therefore, any claim to the contrary is categorically rejected. Nonetheless, and to show its utmost respect for the principle of good neighbourliness, Iran has always expressed its readiness to talk with the United Arab Emirates bilaterally with a view to removing any misunderstanding that may exist on the part of the United Arab Emirates over Abu Musa Island. That said, we caution against any involvement by third parties in this issue of a bilateral character and regard such involvement to be hardly constructive or useful.
6. Finally, "Persian Gulf" is the only true geographical designation for the body of water lying between Iran and the Arabian Peninsula, which has been used from the dawn of history. As the institutional memory of all renowned cartographic agencies testifies, this sea area has always been identified as "Persian Gulf". In this context, the policy of the United Nations in standardization of geographical names, and its policy and practice in emphasizing the name Persian Gulf as the only geographical designation applicable to this body of water is noteworthy and should therefore be respected by all.
I should be grateful if you would have the present letter circulated to all members of the Security Council and issued as a document of the Council.
(Signed) Gholamali Khoshroo
|This document has been published on 17Feb16 by the Equipo Nizkor and Derechos Human Rights. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.|